Sunday, September 26, 2004

Big Words = High Art? A review of "Waking Life"



"Waking Life":
A Film by Richard Linklater

Don't watch this movie. On second thought, everybody should see this movie as an example on how not to make a film. You'll see a great deal of praise for this movie such as "nothing short of Amazing," (Peter Travers,Rolling Stone) and "an amazing film that dances and vibrates with life!" (Roger Ebert,Chicago Sun-Times) but I promise you, this praise is unwarranted. This prasie comes from those who are afraid to trash it because of it's high language and faux depth. They are afraid they may be seen as un-intellegent for not "getting it." Well, I tell you, take a stand. Be not afraid to say, "not liking your lousy movie doesn't make me stupid."

The film is about a kid who is in a dream state and can't figure out how to wake up (I guess this is what it's about). It explores the idea that we may be awake when we think we are asleep and visa versa. A fun topic to think about, I myself have made a student film on this subject. The problem with this movie however is that the entire film is made up of long-winded sermons about reality and existence. The film never introduces a ....you know....plot, something that I feel is essential in good writing. This film typifies the type of "art" which attempts to claim that if a writer uses big words and talks about deep subjects he is automatically hailed as a genius. Unfortunatally, I think that view is half correct. If a writer used big words and talks about profound subjects, lots of people do account him as a genius. Untrue I tell you!!!!

Discovering new ways to present old ideas, finding a way to connect your work to an audience to make them feel and think as they never have before, this is the mark of true genius! Anyway, don't see this piece of garbage. Oh wait, see it, bask in its artistic uselessness. Try to make it through the whole film. I dare you.

If you love this movie and think I'm a retard for hating it, feel free to post a reply.

3 comments:

Desolation said...

i feel the same way about some movies
but i figured we shouldn't shoot them down
afterall, it is the hard work of someone
perhaps it made enormously sense to someppl
?
cheers

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it, but based on your review, I don't think I want to. I disagree with those who say we shouldn't ever express a negative opinion about something. So what if someone worked hard on something? If it doesn't strike a chord with you, you have a right to say it doesn't. That's what freedom of speech is all about, the right to express an opinion, even if some, most, or all disagree with said opinion.

-- John

BrainFuzz said...

I felt the same way when I watched too much of "Melvin Goes To Dinner." (I killed it after about a half hour of waiting for the interesting part.) The writer obviously thought that if you stick enough facade on the conversation, the audience would be fooled into believing there was depth. I think eighth graders could hold deeper conversation and make it more believable.

The worst part about that movie was that it was SUPPOSED to be about the conversation, and the conversation was so unrealistic! It was an unnatural conversation, forced into moving from topic to unrelated topic.