Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Opening Day in Review

Red Sox at Texas Rangers

The two big stories here were both from old men who throw the ball. Curt Schilling looked like the pitcher of the 2004 series. He pitched 117 pitches to last seven innings allowing five hits and two runs, both earned, while posting five strike outs. He had great command and threw consistently at 92 to 93 MPH. He pitched his highest at 94 MPH. If this is a sign of things to come, I am very optimistic that our ace has returned.

The other story was Roger Clemens's visit to the redsox clubhouse. He insisted that he still considers himself retired though his agent continues to wheel and deal around him. Apparently, his playing future has been a topic of conversation in his household as well:
My two little ones are warming up to the idea [of Boston]. Boston is very special to me. The video they made had a little bit of everything and brought back a lot of memories. I got to see the young me.

If I end up coming back and playing with that club, it has nothing to do with the offer, it has to do with my mind-set. But I have a fondness for all these teams we're talking about.

It would be something special. Extremely special. No doubt.


One other note on the Sox opener. Keith Foulke. Very Scary.

Controversy!

It's no secret that I am no fan of Barry Bonds, but the actions of one Padres fan took it a step too far when he threw a syringe onto the playing field a few feet from Barry.

I hate the guy but I also think that the players must feel safe to walk onto the field without objects flying at them. Even though there was no needle in the syringe, it could hit a player in the eye, ending his game. Not to mention it's just class-less and disgusting. Make your signs, shout your insults but keep your objects in your pockets.

No comments: