Sunday, July 23, 2006

New One Minute Play

As you may remember, I like to sit and pound out a one minute play every now and then just as a writing exercise. I have written a new one, aptly, about a police officer. It's called "One Second in the Life of a City Cop"

Actor is not on stage or is hidden. Blue light. Steam. Perhaps a yellow light from above and to a side, a street light.

COP
(speaking very rapidly.)The whole thing took only one second. I got out of the car. He was standing there. Standing, right over there. First a stunned look like a dear in headlights. A cliche, I know. He was standing there, facing me, after the stunned look, a look of recognition. Not of me individually, we've never met. Or have I seen him before? On a call? Yes, I think so. He's sizing me up. He sees the blue uniform. He sees the badge and the belt. His torso is shrinking. He's drawing into himself. What is doing? Is he trying to fight, is he trying to run? His hand is moving. His right hand. He wears a yellow shirt and baggy jeans. His right hand is going in his right pocket. Now it's in his pocket. Tell him to show his hands. He's not showing his hands. Say it again, add a swear word. His hand is coming out. His hand is coming out but there's something in it. There's embroidery above the pocket, the name brand of the baggy jeans. His hand is still coming. Tell him to drop it he's not dropping it. Tell him to drop it now. Tell him and use a swear and draw. Fundamentals. Remember your training. Front sight, squeeze. Draw now. Draw faster and then there's a...

A shot is heard and a flash of light.

COP
It's over. But is he dead or am I? Was I too slow? Am I lying in a pool of blood in the gutter? Was I too fast. Was it a cell phone he pulled from his embroidered pocket? Should I have looked harder first? I need a moment to work it all out. Give me just a second.

No comments: