Thursday, September 14, 2006

"Sayings:" A Short Play

I wrote this as an excersise in my playwriting class. I think it's interesting so I'm putting it on here. It is yet another Subway play. I'm starting to think I could do a collection of these things and make a one act full of Subway shorts. This one is called, "Sayings."

The scene is a subway station. A young man waits near the yellow line for his train. He is clean cut, wearing a simple shirt, colorless tie and khaki slacks. An old man sits on the bench behind the young man. He appears to be homeless. He wears filthy Dickies, A long sleeve shirt. He has bushy, greasy hair and a beard. He also has a stack of papers next to him.

OLD MAN
Do you like sayings?

YOUNG MAN
Sayings?

OLD MAN
Do you like sayings?

YOUNG MAN
What do you mean?

OLD MAN picks up the stack of pages on which are written famous quotations. He approaches YOUNG MAN with them.

OLD MAN
Like, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

YOUNG MAN
Oh. I guess.

OLD MAN
(hands a page to YOUNG MAN but still holds onto it himself as well.)Here's one of my favorites. (pointing to it)I like your Christ but I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ. Do you know who said that?

YOUNG MAN
Ghandi.

OLD MAN
That's right. You're very intelligent.

YOUNG MAN
(pointing to page)It's written.

OLD MAN
Yes. It is written.

OLD MAN lets go of the sheet. A subway car is heard approaching.

OLD MAN
(continuing)Is that you?

YOUNG MAN
I don't know.

YOUNG MAN folds the page and puts it in his breast pocket, close to his heart. The subway car is heard stopping. It is on the other side of the back wall.

YOUNG MAN
(looking back)No. It's the outbound.

OLD MAN
Well, I'm glad. I wasn't ready for you to go.

YOUNG MAN
Yeah but I'm in a hurry.

OLD MAN
Rushing saps the joy from life.

YOUNG MAN
Do you want money?

OLD MAN
Money is the root of all evil.

YOUNG MAN
Nevertheless, if it's money you want, I'm sorry but I have none.

OLD MAN
I just want you to keep my saying close to your heart.

YOUNG MAN
Sayings are just words. They put no bread on the table.

OLD MAN
That's true. Oh words, what crimes are committed in your name.

YOUNG MAN
(pulls out wallet)How much do you need?

OLD MAN
I need nothing. The LORD will provide. I just want you to come visit occasionally.

A train is heard approaching. YOUNG MAN looks down the tunnel.

YOUNG MAN
Okay. This one's me.

OLD MAN
Okay. I mean it though. Come visit me, son.

YOUNG MAN
Maybe I will...dad.

Lights out.

No comments: