Monday, October 30, 2006

Barnardine's Pardon

In Shakespeare's Measure for Measure the character Barnardine is a convicted murderer sentenced to death. When his time comes to die, the executioner and the Duke (dressed as a friar) come to lead him to the gallows. Barnardine refuses to be hanged because he is drunk. They argue with him but he is resolute. He will not die. He finally goes back to his cell unchallenged. This is my creative response to the play for my Shakespeare class. In my play, he is pardoned but refuses to leave.

At lights up: inside the Vienna Prison. BARNARDINE sits on a bench with a beer stein. ABHORSON enters.

ABHORSON
Rise Barnardine. I have news.

BARNARDINE tries to stand but is so drunk, he cannot and he falls back onto the bench.

BARNARDINE
I cannot stand. I'm drunk. As you can see.

ABHORSON
Why are you constantly drunk?

BARNARDINE
Because I constantly drink.

ABHORSON
Well, stay seated then. I have news.

BARNARDINE
What news?

ABHORSON
You are to be set free.

BARNARDINE stands and comes forward. He catches himself on the bars.

BARNARDINE
What?

ABHORSON
It's true. The Duke, on the occasion of his return from abroad, has granted a general pardon to all the murderers, thieves and sex maniacs in Vienna.

BARNARDINE
That's amazing.

ABHORSON
Yes it is.

BARNARDINE
And I won't allow it.

ABHORSON
It's what?

BARNARDINE
Why should I go?

ABHORSON
Sir, you've been pardoned...from a sentence of death.

BARNARDINE
Did I ask to be pardoned? I tell you I will not accept.

ABHORSON
I'm afraid you have no choice. You must come out of the prison and walk away a free man.

BARNARDINE
I have been drinking all night. I'm not fit to walk away.

ABHORSON
But you must.

BARNARDINE
I won't. Do not return to me until you are ready to hang me.

ABHORSON
Sir, you are not to be hanged. You have been pardoned.

BARNARDINE
I tell you, I will be hanged and I will not leave here except with an undertaker.

ABHORSON
But sir...

BARNARDINE
This matter is closed. If you have any further news, I'll be on my bench, awaiting my hanging.

BARNARDINE stumbles back to his bench and lies down.

Lights down.

No comments: