Friday, October 08, 2004

Sooner Born and Sooner Bred, I Will Vote what Switzer Said"

Former Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer, held to be a god with a little "g," went public with his endorsement for Democratic Senatorial Candidate Brad Carson today. I guess that's okay. He can endorse who he chooses to.

What concerns me is that KFOR TV Channel 9 reports that, "his endorsement of Brad Henry (Oklahoma's Democratic Governor) two years ago was instrumental in getting him elected." It's okay that he endorsed Brad Henry. I probably would have voted for Brad Henry had I lived in Oklahoma at the time. However, it concerns me greatly that the endorsement of a washed-up football coach can be instrumental in an election.

I have doubts that he actually influenced that many people to vote for Brad Henry but, at the same time, I fear that this might be possible. Americans really are that shallow. "Any man who can beat Nebraska that many times can choose my Senator any day. After all, he knows option football, surely he knows how to run a Governor. Heck I'll vote for Switzer in the upcoming Emperor of the Universe election." Ah, yes, Susan Sarandon, Tom Hanks, Cheryl Crow and Barry Switzer. These are the best and the brightest. Shining stars in a dark sky. These are our countries most brilliant political minds and I shall follow them even to the ends of the earth.

No comments: