Friday, April 13, 2007

Goodbye Hornets, Goodbye Kurt Vonnegut, Goodbye Don Imus

Everything about this Friday the Thirteenth lived up to the reputation. It was rainy and cold, which delayed the Redhawks home opener (to which we had tickets). we had thunder, while the panhandle is getting snow, possibly up to nine inches by tomorrow.

In the midst of all of it, the Hornets played their final game in Oklahoma City. They will now go back to New Orleans where they will have decidedly less fan support. The lost in heart breaking fashion to the Denver Nuggets in the very last seconds. Just like that, we're a minor league town again.

Kurt Vonnegut, one of the finest author's of the last generation, died Wednesday night after struggling with a brain injury caused when he fell down. He was the Author of "The Slaughterhouse-Five" "Cat's Cradle" and most recently "The Man Without a Country." He was one of the few anti-war activists who had ethos, having seen war himself. I had a self-revelatory moment when it occurred to me that some people get upset when Anna Nichole Smith died. I got upset to hear about Kurt Vonnegut. Jeez, I'm a nerd.

Goodbye Don Imus. I never liked you. I'm glad you're gone. The only thing is, will we as a society now censure those in pop culture who make millions by denigrating women and projecting racial stereotypes (is rappers)? My fear is that we will not. In fact, I'm almost positive we will not. America has proven again and again that it tolerates double standard.

And back on the subject of my rained out ball game, we will be taking in a double header on Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw an art exhibit of Vonnegut's last night, which was totally random and cool. He was from Indy.

Unknown said...

David Halberstam (sic?) died last week, too. I was in Greece, and the Internet Cafe computers there were slower than who knows what, so I missed the tributes. Can still google Anna Nicole if I want. This society deserves what it gets.