Sunday, April 29, 2007

Proud Owner


I like to collect old books in the areas of my interests. I already own a couple really good ones including: The Study of Aesthetics published in 1856 and A History of English Dramatic Literature, published in 1899. I tried to get a first edition British copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin from 1851 but, alas, it went for almost $300 while I was at a ball game. I did manage to pick up Abraham Lincoln: His Life and Public Service by Mrs. P.A. Hanaford, the author of Our Martyred President. The "record of his stainless life and martyr's death" is inscribed to "The Loyal Men and Women, North and South, East and West; the the Union Army and Navy; and especially to the Long-Oppressed Race for whom President Lincoln wrote the Emancipation Proclamation" I can't wait to read and digest this account from just after his death from an obviously sympathetic New England writer!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kewl. Check out the new pics on my blog, manna-whatisit.blogspot.com. Stood on Mars Hill, where Paul faced the learned philosophers of his day. Awesome.